Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Lincoln's Birthday



Today is Lincoln's birthday, which is a big deal for me, especially since the State of Illinois, where I grew up, is known as "The Land of Lincoln." However, to my shame, I keep using the same photograph each year, even though I have in my possession every single class photograph that was taken from kindergarten through 8th grade at Fort Dearborn Grammar School, back in the south side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago. They are in one of about one million boxes in my closets, but I am just too lazy to go through all of them to find one just a little bit different from the one I used last year (so sue me).  But the point is the same.  When I was in grammar school at Fort Dearborn, we got BOTH Lincoln's and Washington's birthday off.  I just hated school, and two days off in February were a Godsend. These days, of course, there is now President's Day, and students everywhere are given only a single day off.  If I were younger, I would start a protest movement, but at this point in life, I say to hell with it.  Fight your own battles, young people.  For those keeping score, this photograph was taken exactly 54 years ago this month.  Time flies when you are having fun.  And by the way, I am in the middle row, on the far left.  A sign of my future political beliefs, which my brother-in-law George would definitely have pointed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment