Friday, February 8, 2019

More From March Of 1972



Yesterday I featured a photograph that I took of the Hotel Florence, located in the south side Pullman neighborhood of Chicago, back on March 17th of 1972.  I was taking slides at the time, and the last few in the packet were of my parents, Nelson and Mary, and my dog Irma, sitting on the living room couch in our house in south suburban Country Club Hills.  I was never crazy about Country Club Hills, which was a treeless suburb geared for young couples with children.  We probably moved there because all of my mother's family lived there or in nearby Park Forest.  My sister Susan and brother-in-law George eventually moved to an apartment in Flossmoor, just across the street from the Illinois Central station, which was actually a very nice place indeed.  The original Aureilo's Pizza was (and still is) located in nearby Homewood, which was a plus, but I still think it was a good thing when my parents moved to Stuart, Florida, in 1976, where they made all kinds of friends and thought they had moved to paradise.  In any case, I checked the internet, and Easter Sunday was April 2nd of that year, which explains the poinsettia in the foreground.  The lamp on the left in the photo, by the way, is still in the condo in Florida, and the lamp reflected in the mirror is currently sitting in my living room here in Denver.  And no, I don't throw anything out if it still works. In any case, this is a snapshot from a moment in time, and I am happy to have discovered it.

No comments:

Post a Comment