Thursday, February 7, 2019

Speaking About Pullman...



I was waxing nostalgic yesterday about the South Side Chicago Pullman neighborhood - and the Hotel Florence that was located there - and decided to go through my boxes of slides to find a photograph of the place.  I found one that I took back on March 17th, 1972, when it was still operating as a hotel.  This was the neighborhood where they made Pullman Sleeping Cars, as well as Pullman Streetcars, one of which I featured in yesterday's blog.  The area needed a hotel to accommodate all the people calling on the factory, hence it's location. The Hotel Florence in now owned by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, and can be toured and even rented out for various events.  And I can't help but notice from the sign on the right in the above photo that the beer they featured on that long ago St. Patrick's Day was Pabst Blue Ribbon.  Really? No wonder they were only charging 10 cents a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment