Saturday, August 10, 2019

A Visit To Durango



As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, my sister Susan and I took a mini vacation and visited the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, a spectacular national park seldom visited by most tourists. Afterwards, we drove south - after a brief visit to the old west town of Ouray - to Durango, one of my favorite Colorado places.  On  the left is a photo of the Strater Hotel, an old west icon which is home to the Diamond Belle Saloon, and which has been operating since 1887. When you are in Durango, the place to stay is the Strater, just like when you stay  in Santa Fe, New Mexico, the place to stay is the La Fonda. Fortunately, for financial reasons, Susan and I were staying in Cortez (very close to the four corners region, where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah all meet), and so we did not have to fork over the big bucks that those places demand.




As regular blog readers know, my sister has two dogs - Blackberry and Tutu - and they both came along on the trip.  I must say, they were remarkably well behaved, and I think that Blackberry actually enjoys traveling, as opposed to Tutu, seen in the photograph on the right with my sister Susan, who started barking and generally making a pest of herself whenever she wanted to get out of the car for a bit.  Thankfully nobody referred to her as a "rodent on a rope" on this trip, which someone did in Taos last year.  Susan brooded about that one for months afterwards. We had dinner that night on the patio at Grassburger, a dog friendly place that features great bacon cheeseburgers, and not blades of grass between two buns, which I originally had feared.  Thank God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment