Thursday, August 22, 2019

The Hazards Of Hail, From Cars To Gardens



I took the above photograph of my sister Susan's garden up in Fort Collins just a few days before a hail storm did a number on it.  I myself think in terms of damage to my car, but hail storms do damage to the plant world, too. Colorado has more hail than most parts of the world, at least according to the people who calculate the size of the insurance premiums.  Just a few weeks after I purchased my Hyundai in 2015, a hail storm came through Denver and more or less destroyed it.  I went ahead and got it repaired, since it was brand new, but a short time afterwards, another hail storm came through and caused minor damage.  I didn't bother to get that fixed, and still get ads left on my windshield telling me that they can repair the damage at no cost to me. Yeah. Right. I have come to the conclusion if you have the hail damage repaired out here, you are just telling fate to send in another hail storm.  At least with gardens, the flowers will come back next year. It is not so easy with cars.  And of course, living in a condo, I don't even think about damage to roofs and skylights, which can be substantial, too.  The Colorado Mills Mall in Golden was closed for months several years ago after hail broke the skylights and flooded the place.  The hazard of living in paradise, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment