Saturday, August 17, 2019

Still More About Sloan's Lake





As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I attended the Sloan's Lake Fine Arts and Music Festival at Sloan's Lake Park last week.  This area is a hotbed of real estate development, especially on the south end of the lake, which until recently was a modest Hispanic neighborhood.  As seen in the photograph on the left, high rise condos and apartment buildings are going up all over the place.  The Lake House, the building on the far right in the photo, features condos with a starting price of $500,000 for a one bedroom unit. Really? Who the hell would pay that?  Oh, right - Californians.  I forgot.


It didn't take long to tour the modest number of booths at the festival, and so afterwards I decided to get a little exercise and walk around the lake.  The south end has lots of trees, but along the north side of the lake, it is pretty barren.  This is where the Denver Dragon Boat Festival is held each year, which I attended and posted a blog about a few weeks ago. I had a hell of a time trying to get a good photograph of those dragon boats, what with the crowds and all, and so I was truly surprised to see two of these dragon boats sitting just offshore, where I could take as many photographs of them as I liked.  If I knew they were going to leave them moored just offshore for a few weeks (or perhaps even a few years), I would have probably just skipped the festival entirely and came by the following week to take my photos.  Live and learn, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment