Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Visiting Crested Butte, Colorado





On my sister Susan and my trip home from visiting the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, with a side trip - and a long one at that -  to Durango and Cortez, Colorado, we took a detour from Gunnison and made a quick stop at Crested Butte, a beautiful mountain town and ski resort on the other side of the mountain from Aspen.  This is one beautiful and historic late 1800s era town.  We found a place to park, and walked with Susan's dogs Blackberry and Tutu through the downtown area. Both dogs were doted over by everyone we passed, and as far as I can tell, they actually accept and expect this kind of adoration.




In other words, these dogs are spoiled - big time - but what the hell. Dogs, cats, service kangaroos, and other household pets are a great comfort, and I definitely understand Susan's intense attachment to them.  I myself have been assigned the task of walking Blackberry (a cairn - aka a Scottish terrier), who I realize is smart as hell, and has the ability to outsmart even me (go figure). In any case, Crested Butte is a truly wonderful place, and I would have made reservations for a couple of rooms for the two of us if I hadn't noticed that in addition to the very reasonable summer rental rates, an $86 resort fee would be added to each room.  Crested Butte is indeed wonderful, but not that wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment