Monday, August 26, 2019

Watching Soccer With Mark And The Tottenham Fan Club






I went with my friend Mark, who works at the University of Denver's Anderson Academic Commons ( i.e. the library), yesterday morning to watch the Tottenham Hotspurs play Newcastle at Esters, the official headquarters of the Tottenham fan club here in Denver. Mark, as you can  see in the photograph on the left, wore a Newcastle t-shirt to Esters, which surprised me, since the place was filled to the rafters with Tottenham fans.  I was actually amazed that they didn't take a tire iron to him, but I guess that is due to that traditional British reserve.  And to add insult to injury, Newcastle beat Tottenham 1 to nil.




In any case, Mark just recently returned from the U.K., where he visited friends in Bath and Leeds, and attended - surprise! - a fair number of soccer and cricket matches.  Mark sent me the photograph on the right of he and his friend Barrie - pronounced Barrree over there -  taken at the soccer stadium in Leeds.  Barrie is a lifelong fan of Leeds United, which is in the Championship League, the second tier of British Soccer. Last year Leeds had a chance to move up to the first division Premier League, but lost the playoff game that would have put them there, to the great disappointment of Leeds fans everywhere (and with the exception of Mark, I suspect everywhere means just Leeds). I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment