Monday, June 29, 2020

A Return To The Denver Zoo!







I went to the Denver Zoo late yesterday afternoon for the first time in about 3 months.  You now have to make a reservation in advance, and at least for members, it is hard to get a time. Fortunately, I was able to snag one of three spots still available for June.You have to wear a mask, follow a prescribed one way route, and all of the buildings are closed, but it was still nice to be able to walk around there again.  I took the photograph on the left of the female mandrill and her baby, and can't help but notice that she never lets the poor thing wander off on it's own.  I'm afraid that being so overprotective might cause problems for her baby later on in life, and require intensive psychoanalysis.  I just hope the zookeepers are counseling her about this.







Unlike the last time I was at the zoo, the father is now allowed in the same compound as his mate and baby, as seen in the photograph on the right.  However, the entire time I was there, he paid absolutely no attention to them.  Still another thing that might cause problems for that baby mandrill  later in life.  I definitely plan to call the zoo and find out if they have an animal psychologist on staff.  If not, perhaps I will set up a "go fund me" page.  I have remarked many times how many of the monkeys at the Denver Zoo, not to mention many other animals, seem depressed. And curiously enough, the great apes were nowhere in sight today, and the path to the outside cages of the monkey house was blocked off.  What are they hiding?

No comments:

Post a Comment