Tuesday, June 2, 2020

And Now For Something Completely Different...





I have decided, just for a while, to step away from subjects such as racial inequity, protests, riots, Covid-19, the prospects for the Chicago White Sox this year, and other such serious issues and focus on more light-hearted topics, such as how I came to have a portrait done of me in Paris many years ago.  I first went to Europe back in 2004, and spent the entire time in Paris, where I explored as much of the city as I could. The last day I was there, I decided to visit Montmarte one more time before heading to the airport.  It was early in the morning, and when I walked into the Place du Tertre - a cafe filled square popular with artists - I was, as far as I can remember, the only tourist there.  Which turned out to be bad, since one of those artists latched on to me and insisted that I allow him to draw my portrait.  I told him no, I was heading home that day and couldn't bring it with me, but he was very insistent.  So much so that I was beginning to worry about missing my flight.  As an added bonus, he said he would give me more hair in the drawing, and I finally relented.  The result is the portrait seen on the left.  My sister Susan says it looks nothing like me, but I actually think it does - at least a little. I suspect Susan doesn't recognize me because of all that extra hair. In any case, on the bright side, I did make my flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment