Sunday, June 21, 2020

Happy Father's Day!



Today is Father's Day, and if you are able to celebrate today with your dad, I strongly advise you to take advantage of the opportunity and do so.  My own father, Nelson, passed away unexpectedly back in November of 1983, at the age of 74. I took the above photograph of him at Circle Bay, a condo complex just next door to where my parent's lived in Stuart, Florida.  They retired there in 1976, and spent their happiest years there. Both my father and I were fans of John D. McDonald's Travis McGee novels, which featured a modern day knight errant who lived on a houseboat at Bahia Mar Marina in Fort Lauderdale, and expounded on all manner of subjects while solving mysteries and saving people's lives.  I myself wanted to follow in McGee's footsteps and live on a boat, too.  My father just preferred to stand along the shore and look at them. After seeing what hurricanes can do to watercraft, I have decided that my father had the right idea all along. He had 7 years of retirement in Florida, and enjoyed every minute of it.  I wish he had had more time down there, but I am glad he at least had those years to enjoy.  Happy Father's Day Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment