Sunday, February 14, 2021

The Magic That Is Santa Fe


Ever since I moved to Denver, the City of Santa Fe, New Mexico - "The City Different" - has been a favorite destination for a weekend getaway. I first went there with my then wife Lisa, who was and still is both an opera singer and a fan, and insisted we attend the Santa Fe Opera when we were there. We bought standing room only tickets, which could have been a drag, but wasn't. At the time, the opera house was open to the sky in the middle, not to mention on the sides, and after a brief but heavy downpour, we were able to sit down in some prime seats that had been vacated. That particular opera was a modern, experimental work, which I thought was horrible, but the view was more than enough entertainment for me.  I took the photograph above of, from left to right, my mother Mary, Lisa, and sister Susan on a different trip to Santa Fe back in July of 1985. Santa Fe is a wonderful place, only 6 hours from Denver, and filled with historic structures dating from 1610. Plus, it has excellent restaurants, many of which are quite reasonable. How great is that? I want to go back there now, despite the pandemic. Can you blame me?

No comments:

Post a Comment