Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Waiting For The North Building At The DAM to Reopen



It has been over three years since the Denver Art Museum (The DAM), closed the North Building for remodeling, and to build a new visitor's center, both seen in the background of the photograph on the left. It was supposed to reopen over a year ago, but thanks to the pandemic, that never happened. Now, they are planning to have a grand reopening in the fall. There is, of course, not a pandemic related reason why it can't reopen now. I suspect the museum wants to have a large, splashy opening gala to generate both revenue and publicity. Can't blame them, I guess, although they will be disappointed to learn I will not be attending. I suspect the tickets might be a bit pricey, and as regular blog readers know, I hate pricey.



The inside entrance to the new visitor's center and North Building is located right past the 19th Century European and American Art exhibit featured in yesterday's blog. I myself am very anxious to visit this new space. I fondly remember the good old days, years ago, when the museum hosted Untitled Final Fridays on the last Friday of each month, with a buffet table where that new visitor center now sits. At first, they served hot Horderves, enough so that it could serve as your dinner. Later, it was reduced to just munchies - snack mix, cheese, fruit, and veggies. Once the North Building - where the kitchens were located - closed, there was no food at all, except for food trucks on the street that sold items you had to pay for yourself. Looking at art lost a lot of it's appeal to me after that. Let's hope that buffet table reappears this fall. If not, I shall want to know the reason why.

No comments:

Post a Comment