Monday, July 12, 2021

A Britannia Flashback


My sister Susan was waxing nostalgic the other day about Britannia, a resort on the Lake of Bays, near Huntsville, Ontario, which I have mentioned a number of times on this blog. Our family used to spend the first two weeks of July there back in the early 1950s, and my sister just loved the place. My mother, father, and sister would drive up there from Chicago - sometimes along with my mother's parents - and my mother's brother and his family would drive up from Cleveland. My father and Uncle Bill would play golf, while Susan and her cousin Judy would raise hell for two weeks, making the lives of the waitresses in the dining room miserable - they definitely earned their money. It was evidently a wonderful place to vacation. However, once the owner died, and the son took over, it became prohibitively expensive, and the family started going to a cheaper resort called Lumina, which unlike Britannia, is actually still there. In the photograph above, in the back row, from left to right, are my Aunt Elsie, Uncle Bill, my mother Mary, and father Nelson. In the front row are my cousin Linda, cousin Judy, sister Susan, Grandmother Louise, and Grandfather Bill. I myself wasn't even thought of back then. I'm still just a young guy, after all. Right? Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment