Friday, July 30, 2021

Is That Really A Cigarette-Smoking Giant Turtle?






I took the photograph on the left at the San Diego Zoo years ago while visiting my Uncle Jack, who lives in San Diego. My sister Susan really liked the photo, telling me it looked like that giant turtle was smoking a cigarette, while at the same time giving me the evil eye. She asked for a copy to display in her house, and that photo is now sitting in her bathroom, which I consider a place of honor, more or less. I have never seen a giant turtle in the wild, although they lay their eggs on the beach in Stuart, Florida each year, where my mother lived for almost 30 years. My ex-wife Lisa once sent me a video via Facebook showing one of them crawling back to the sea from Stuart Beach after laying those eggs, which I found quite impressive. Getting to see sights like that are one of the many advantages of living right on the beach, as opposed to the very real negatives of cost and hurricanes. In any case, I am just glad we still have those creatures around, and hope we always will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment