Sunday, July 25, 2021

Remembering A 1985 Trip To Stuart Florida




I ran across some photographs from a trip to Stuart, Florida back in 1985 the other day. My then wife Lisa, sister Susan, and I were visiting my mother Mary at her condo there, and as usual, we did a lot of touristy things, including hanging out in Old Town Stuart and at Stuart Beach. I took the photograph on the left at a park along the St. Lucie River, near Old Town. From left to right are Lisa, Susan, and my mother Mary. Old Town Stuart is very quaint, a popular destination for both residents and tourists. This photo is pretty undramatic, but I did take a photograph of Susan - a number of years later - climbing into a fountain in the middle of a traffic circle and posing with Lady Bountiful, the statue at it's center. I am still looking for a copy of that one.





We also hung out a bit at the pool next to the condo complex's clubhouse, where I took the photograph of Lisa and Susan on the right. I myself am not a pool person, and so I doubt it was my idea to spend the afternoon there. More likely, I wanted to head to Miami Beach to check out the action, but was overruled. And as for pools, I have lived in the same building in Denver for almost 34 years, and have never once been in the pool there. I like to look down on it - right below my balcony - but feel it best to keep a fair distance, to avoid getting wet.





I am pretty sure that the photograph on the left was taken at Huckleberry's, a restaurant on the St. Lucie River just to the west of Old Town Stuart, where we often went for Sunday brunch. Everybody looks like they were in a pretty good mood, and so I must have told them that I would be picking up the check. Those were indeed happy times. I wish life could be just one happy, never-ending vacation. But of course it can't. What a bummer.



No comments:

Post a Comment