Saturday, July 3, 2021

The First Friday Of July Art Walk





I attended the First Friday Art Walk on Denver's Santa Fe Drive last night, and was happy to see that virtually all of the galleries were open and the crowds on the street back to normal. I stopped in at the Artists On Santa Fe Gallery and ran into my friend and former University of Denver Bookstore co-worker Carol Till, seen in the photograph on the left, who was exhibiting her etchings there. Carol retired from the DU Bookstore to work full time as an artist, and is very happy things are finally getting back to normal. Be sure to check out her artwork at http://www.caroltill.com/index.html.





I also stopped in at the Sync Gallery, seen in the photograph on the right, and viewed a photography exhibit by Lynda Tygart titled Her Sanctuary, a collection of photographs of her grandmother's farmhouse taken by Tygart on the eve of her grandmother's funeral. I found the photos and her descriptions quite moving. And I was pleased to see that a number of other galleries were featuring photography, too. Progress at last!





I must say that a lot of the art on display this month was really good, although there was a lot that was pretty mediocre - or just plain weird - too. I took the photograph on the left just outside the back entrance of a store called ReCreative Denver, a place that strives to make reuseable art materials more affordable and keep them out of the landfill. All I have to say about this display is that I would not like to stumble upon it in the dark, late at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment