Saturday, October 1, 2022

Early Autumn At The Zoo Part II





As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, I went to the Denver Zoo Wednesday afternoon to take a few photographs. Since the temperatures have moderated now that fall has arrived, most of the animals are more lively and willing to venture out into the sun. An exception is my friend the tiger in the photo on the left, who was sitting as far away as possible from zoo visitors. However, he was still willing to pose for a portrait, even though he was partially obscured by a tree.







The clouded leopard in the photograph on the right was pacing back and forth in front of the door to it's cage, no doubt wanting to head inside for dinner and a little bit of television. As a matter of fact, every time I am at the zoo, he seems to be pacing like that. I suspect he needs a much larger compound, but I don't think that will happen unless he is sent to a different zoo. In any case, as he was doing his pacing, he looked up at me for just a second, and I was able to capture the photo on the right.





I know I tend to feature a photograph of one of the lions every time I go to the zoo, but I can't help it - so many of them are happy to pose for a portrait, including the one in the photograph on the left. I am pretty sure this is Tobias, the father of Tatu and two other cubs born in 2020, right at the height of the pandemic. I remember taking lots of photographs of Tatu as he was growing up, and how gentle Tobias was with him, but I have no such photos of the twin cubs born in 2020. The zoo closed for quite a while due to Covid-19, and by the time things were back to normal, they were no longer cubs, but teenagers. Still another thing to blame on the pandemic. And yes, Tobias is indeed smiling for the camera, God bless him.

No comments:

Post a Comment