Friday, May 1, 2020

Blood Hunt



I just finished reading Blood Hunt by Scottish author Ian Rankin.  As I have mentioned before, since the Denver Public Library is closed due to the coronavirus, I have been forced to go through my bookcases for things to read instead of requesting new releases from my local library branch.  One of the books I discovered was this novel by Ian Rankin, whom I have heard good things about.  Rankin is best known for his Inspector Rebus series, which takes place in Edinburgh.  Blood Hunt, however, is a stand-alone novel, and was originally published under a pseudonym.  I picked it up on one of my visits to the semi-annual Beautiful Junk Sale, put on by the Action Center of Jefferson County. During the last hour of the sale, you can fill a grocery store bag full of books for $10, which I have done many times.  Between these Beautiful Junk books and the advanced reading copies (ARCs) I picked up for free when I worked at the Tattered Cover Bookstore, my shelves are bursting.  In any case, Blood Hunt is the story of former British soldier Gordon Reeve, whose journalist brother allegedly commits suicide while working on a story in San Diego. When Reeve arrives to collect the body, he investigates and finds that his brother was coming too close to finding out the truth about a multinational chemical company's deadly products, and was murdered because of this. Rankin is indeed a very good writer, and I really enjoyed this story.  Once the library reopens, I definitely intend to pick up a few Inspector Rebus mysteries and read those, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment