Thursday, May 21, 2020

The Inspector Banks Series




I have just finished reading two books in the Inspector Banks mystery series by Peter Robinson.  Both of these were ARCs (advanced reading copies) which I am now starting to read, thanks to the library being closed due to the coronavirus.  And these two ARCs have been sitting on my bookshelves for a while.  All the Colors of Darkness came out in 2008, which means I must have picked it up when I was working at the University of Denver Bookstore, while In The Dark Places came out in 2015, when I worked at the Tattered Cover Bookstore.  I must say, I never heard of Robinson before I read these books, which feature Inspector Banks and his police colleagues in the fictional town of Eastvale, located in the Yorkshire Dales.




I was surprised to find that this series is actually quite good. All the Colors of Darkness concerns a murder-suicide that turns out to be anything but an open and shut case.  In the Dark Places starts out as a simple theft of an expensive tractor in rural Yorkshire, but soon is connected to both a grisly murder at an abandoned airplane hanger and a missing persons case.  Up until now, I have not read many British detective myteries, but I must say I am glad I discovered these Peter Robinson stories, thanks to the lockdown.  I definitely intend to order the latest (number 26) in the Inspector Banks series as soon as the library reopens.

No comments:

Post a Comment