Saturday, May 23, 2020

Reminiscing About Holidays In Ontario



I know that I have featured the above photograph many times - it is even on the shelf of my living room bookcase - but it includes so many family members that I can't resist posting it at the start of each summer vacation season.  And no - I did NOT take this photograph. It was taken in August of 1951, a year and a half before I was born, at a resort called Britannia, located on the Lake of Bays, near Huntsville, Ontario. From all accounts, this was a very nice place, and our family, my mother's brother and his family, and my mother's parents, would vacation there every year.  Eventually, the son of the original owner inherited the place, and raised prices so much that the family had to find an alternative resort.  One such place was called Lumina, also on the Lake of Bays, and still in business to this day. Another, which I myself remember, was Torpitt Lodge, located on Sparrow Lake, near Orillia, Ontario.  Those places provided many happy memories for us all.  In the photograph above, starting in the back row, from left to right, are my Aunt Elsie, my Uncle Bill (my mother's brother), my mother Mary, and father Nelson.  In the front row, from left to right, are my cousin Linda and cousin Judy (my uncle and aunt's children), my sister Susan, looking weird, my Grandmother Louise, and my Grandfather William (my mother's parents).  It is hard for me to believe this photo was taken almost 70 years ago.  Time is definitely fleeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment