Saturday, May 16, 2020

And Now For Some More Florida Nostalgia...



Since I have been staying at home more often these days because of the coronavirus, I have been going through my boxes of photographs reliving old memories.  I found the photograph on the left of my sister Susan that I am pretty sure was taken in Florida back in the 1990s, during a trip to Stuart to visit our mother Mary.  Back then, Susan was quite willing to pose for a photograph.  These days, she has threatened to kill me if I even point the camera in her direction.  It seems hardly worth it.  It is a sad truth that many if not most women hate to have their photograph taken once they reach a certain age.  I really don't think that was the case in the past, considering how many photographs I have of family members at all stages of their lifes.  What the hell happened?  Beats me, but it makes me mad.


And just where was that photograph of Susan taken?  I haven't the vaguest idea. When Susan and I used to visit Stuart back then, we would often take day trips throughout South Florida. One of my favorite spots to visit was the Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale.  You could stroll along the New River past yachts and sightseeing boats, finally ending up at an open air shopping center called Las Olas Riverfront.  It had all kinds of shops and restaurants, where you could have a drink, relax, and just do some people watching. Sadly, after the Great Recession of 2008, the place fell out of favor and was recently torn down to make way for a high rise. And was that photo of Susan taken on the Riverwalk, like the one on the right of her and my mother?  Since there are so many outdoor patios that we have visited in Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach, and Coconut Grove, among other places, I can't say for sure.  But it really doesn't matter, does it?  Only the memories are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment