Monday, May 11, 2020

Like I Was Sayin'...



Darrel, my friend and former co-worker at the University of Denver Bookstore, gave me a copy of Like I Was Sayin,' a collection of Chicago newspaper columnist Mike Royko's columns from the 1960s to the 1980s.  I already had a copy on my bookshelf that I had read years ago, but Royko was such a witty and enjoyable writer that I decided to read it again.  Royko was born and raised on the north side of Chicago (a Cubs fan, but nobody's perfect), and started writing a column for the Chicago Daily News back in the 1960s.  When that paper folded, he moved to the Chicago Sun Times, and when that newspaper was bought by Rupert Murdoch, the right-wing newspaper tycoon, he moved to the Chicago Tribune, where he worked until he died of a brain aneurysm back in 1997.  Royko told it the way he saw it, and could anger both conservatives and liberals with his opinions.  I have to wonder what he would think of the partisan divide we face today.  I don't know, but what he would have wrote about it would have been hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment