Friday, May 22, 2020

A San Francisco Flashback!





It has been 8 years since I last visited San Francisco, which is one of my favorite cities in the world.  Back in 2012, I bought a book featuring 22 San Francisco walking tours, and then spent the Martin Luther King weekend out there.  I was able to take most of those walks, and even visit Big Sur, Muir Woods, the wine country, and a mission in Sonoma.  What a beautiful place to live.  Of course, since it is so incredibly expensive, a lot of bay area residents have moved here to Denver, and just go back to San Francisco for visits.



Not only does the city have spectacular views from it hills, it also has fascinating neighborhoods, ranging from my favorite - the Outer Sunset District, which runs along the ocean and is often shrouded in fog, to neighborhoods like Chinatown, seen in the photograph on the right.  I wanted to visit the city when I did because the University of Denver Bookstore, where I worked as the Finance Manager for almost 30 years, was being outsourced by the university the following month to Follett Higher Education Group. Although they were obligated to retain all employees for a minimum of one year, I suspected I would not be able to take much more vacation time after they took over.  And I was right.




Wally, my friend and former University of Denver coworker, and his wife Linda have two children who both live in the bay area, and visit the city quite often. Their son Peter lives very close to Golden Gate Park and has taken Wally and Linda all over the city. Once the pandemic ends, Peter intends to spend weekends taking people on tours, and Wally and Linda intend to be his first customers.  The last time they were there, they walked across the Golden Gate Bridge, and Wally just loved it.  He has strongly recommended that I do this the next time I am out there, and I definitely plan to do so. And maybe take one of Peter's tours, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment