Friday, May 19, 2023

Progress Or Not?


A number of years ago I stopped at the upholstery shop in the photograph above, located on University Boulevard near my condo here in Denver, to inquire about reupholstering my couch (I opted to cover it with a blanket - a very nice banket - instead. Much cheaper). It was housed in an old 1920s era former gas station, and I think it was a really nice structure to have in the neighborhood. While going over some old photos on my computer recently, I ran across the photo and it reminded me of the place. That building was torn down to build a 6 story, very upscale apartment block. Is that progress - providing more hipster housing for Denver - or a loss for the community? Of course, the City of Denver is much better these days at preserving historic structures (the city council recently voted to stop the demolition of a 1906 mansion despite the owner's wishes), but some buildings miss the cut, like the little gem in the photo. Very sad, as Donald Trump likes to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment