Thursday, May 4, 2023

The View From The New DU Student Center


I took the photograph above of the view from the University of Denver's (relatively) new student center a few weeks ago. The place was buzzing with activity, filled with students and staff having lunch at the various food booths or just hanging out. This building replaces what was called Driscoll North, the previous student center that was just opening when I started working at the University of Denver Bookstore back in 1984. The same bridge connects the new student center with Driscoll South, where the DU Bookstore is still located and where the staff was laid off from the university, including me, after the store was  outsourced to Follett Higher Group back in 2012. I was the Finance Manger back then, and had worked for the store for almost 30 years, but DU did not offer anyone alternative employment, and many, including me, were laid off by Follett after being kept on for one year per the lease agreement. The store looks pretty damn quiet now, and I suspect neither Follett or the university is getting the money it hoped for. What I want to know is why Driscoll North became obsolete after just 35 years or so? I'll have to ask the chancellor the next time I see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment