Friday, October 10, 2014

Detroit: An American Autopsy


I picked up a copy of Detroit:  An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff the other day at the bookstore where I work.   Since it was on the bargain table, I figured it was worth a look, and it is actually pretty good. LeDuff is an excellent and entertaining writer.  He gave up a dream job with the New York Times in LA to take a job at the struggling Detroit News in his old home town.  He figured that painful times in Detroit make for great stories, and he was absolutely right.  In the photograph above from the book I am standing in front of the old Packard Plant, which has been deteriorating since the 1950s.  And I don't know who the woman in the photograph is, what she is wearing, or what she is doing.  Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment