Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day



Today is Veteran's Day, and in honor of this holiday, I am featuring a photograph of my mother Mary, father Nelson, and sister Susan taken down in Texas before my father was sent overseas during World War II. Since he was in his mid-thirties, my father - a dentist - was very surprised, to day the least, when he got a draft notice.  His friend Ed Hartman - also a dentist - was at our house when the telegram arrived and thought my father getting drafted was the funniest thing ever, until he went home and found a draft notice waiting for him, too. Of course, Ed Hartman was sent to Paris, while my father went to Okinawa, so Ed definitely got the last laugh.  And as a side note, my sister Susan, pictured on the left with her trademark crabby face, was also featured on yesterday's Blog, too.  She hasn't changed a bit, either.  At least the crabby face part.

No comments:

Post a Comment