Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Catching The Cardinals With Mark




Monday night I went with my friend Mark, who works at the University of Denver's Anderson Academic Commons (the library), to see  the Colorado Rockies play the St. Louis Cardinals at Coors Field in Lower Downtown Denver.  The Rockies are much better than last year, but have no shot at the playoffs, while St. Louis is battling for a wildcard slot.  Mark (seen in the photograph on the left) is a Cardinals fan, as were a substantial number of the other fans in attendance.



I myself like the Cardinals, too.  My favorite broadcaster, Harry Carey, was the television announcer for the team for 25 years (and then got fired), and Tony La Russa, who managed them for many years, got his start as a manager with the Iowa Oaks, the Chicago White Sox AAA affiliate at the time. He was later brought up by Bill Veeck to manage the White Sox.  Being from Chicago, I would have to root for the White Sox or Cubs (or for that matter, the Colorado Rockies) first, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Cardinals in the playoffs, too.  As as you can see from the photograph on the right, the Cardinals did indeed win the game, although the Rockies gave them a run for their money in the bottom of the 9th.  And as Cubs fans always used to say (although not this year, since they have already won their division), wait until next year, White Sox and Rockies fans.

1 comment:

  1. Hahah I was at that game too -- my big takeaway was (I was sitting row 5 behind the Cardinal's dugout) how often the Cardinal fans kept yelling for Carpenter's attention and how perfectly he ignored them.

    Then again, I'm not a baseball fan, but I always love to catch people acting above their station.

    ReplyDelete