Monday, September 12, 2016

Oktoberfest In Breckenridge

I drove up into the Colorado mountains yesterday for the first time in several years.  Ironically, I have been to the beach far more often during this period. You tend to take for granted that the mountains are always there, and wind up never going there.  On the other hand, at the complex in Stuart, Florida, where my sister and I have a condo inherited from my mother, many of the residents haven't been to the beach in many years, even though it is only five miles away.  Go figure.  In any case, I stopped in Breckenridge to check out the Oktoberfest festival on my way to take photographs of the Aspens on Boreas Pass.  The street was crowded with revelers, many of the men actually wearing lederhosen and the women Bavarian peasant dresses.  As at all these festivals, there was a German band playing and dancing in the streets.  They were also selling "Das Turkey Legs," and even the Screamin' Sicilian (mentioned in last week's Taste of Colorado Blog) was there for this event.


And as usual, people were wearing chicken hats.  Really. Actually, a lot of people.  I can't tell you why, but they were. I arrived in Breckenridge about an hour and a half before the festival ended, which was more than enough time.  After 40 minutes of revelry,  I was on my way up to take photographs of the aspens, which even before the middle of September are changing color.  But what I want to know is why Oktoberfest always takes place in September, both here and in Munich?  If it is held in September, shouldn't it be called Septemberfest?  It would be far less confusing.  And one final thought - I think chicken hats should be banned.  Perhaps the ASPCA could get involved in this.  No harm in asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment