Monday, September 26, 2016

The Difference Between Cubs and White Sox Fans...


My friend Stuart and I went to the Old Chicago in exciting Lakewood, Colorado last night for pizza and beers.  The most emotional topic we discussed was the fact that a large Chicago Seven pizza now cost $23.75, which we both agreed was an outrage.  And we also both agreed that neither Donald Trump nor Hillary Clinton would do anything about it.  The other major topic was how the Chicago Cubs would do in baseball's upcoming playoffs.  I asked Stuart if he was excited about the Cubs being in the playoffs for the second year in a row, and he gave me a very unenthusiastic yes.  I questioned him further, and he replied that he knew the Cubs had the best record in baseball, but he worried about how they would do in a short series against a team like the Washington Nationals.  Of course, now that my team, the South Side Chicago White Sox, are long out of contention, I will root for the Cubs.  However, White Sox fans are always fatalistic.  If something can go wrong, it will. And so my feeling is that since the Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908 (at first I said 1906, and Stuart was highly upset that I dared to take those two years away from the Cubs), they are indeed doomed.  They also have the curse of the Billy Goat to contend with (which I have mentioned several times on the Blog).  However, despite this hopeless situation, we still need to enjoy every victory that they win during these playoffs.  And so Go Cubs!

1 comment:

  1. Well, David, I have to disagree with you. I am a lifelong White Sox fan, but there's no way I can ever root for the Cubs. I won't root against them, however. I just don't have the same passion for the north side team like I do for the south side one. But I am happy for your friend Stuart and all the other long-suffering Cubs fans. I remember what it was like in 2005 for us White Sox fans. Just tell Stuart to appreciate this year, because it may not happen again...$23.75 for a pizza??? Outrageous!

    ReplyDelete