Monday, September 19, 2016

Further Thoughts On Soviet Style Architecture...


As I have mentioned in previous Blogs, when my apartment building was sold to a condo developer back in 1999, the Rocky Mountain News - which no longer exists, I might add - described the building as an example of  "Soviet style architecture."  And I have always suspected that they didn't mean that as a complement.  A resident of the building for 12 years, I got an eviction notice telling me to be out of my apartment in 30 days.  I raised so much hell with the poor lady in the office that she relocated me to a south facing apartment on the 11th floor, which she told me would be the last floor to be remodeled.  In less than a year I bought a 2 bedroom, 2 bath south facing unit on a lower floor.


Before the building went condo, Dan Ritchie, then chancellor of the University of Denver, wanted to buy it and tear it down, since it was an eyesore and distracted from the new Ritchie Center just across the street (and seen in the photo taken from my balcony on the right).  As recently as two months ago, the new DU Chancellor wanted to tear the building down and move the light rail station to our corner, until technical realities foiled that plan. But my point is - and I do have one - is that it is a great place to live.  By accident or design, the huge balconies keep the sun out of the apartment all summer, and right before the autumnal equinox the sun starts to seep in, filling the apartment with light and warmth by mid-winter.  Plus, the views and location are great.  Clever those Soviets.  And another DU plan thwarted.

No comments:

Post a Comment