Sunday, November 20, 2016

And Now For Some Florida Nostalgia





I took the photograph on the left of my mother Mary and father Nelson back in the late 1970s in Key West, Florida.  My parents and my sister Susan and I drove to Key West from Stuart, Florida, where my mother and father had recently bought a condo.  My father was a dentist in Chicago, and absolutely hated it, and so he was just thrilled when he could finally retire to Florida and play golf. My mother was not happy about moving to Flordia, and felt she was moving there just to please my father.  However, after living there a few months, she began to love it, and lived there happily for the next 30 years.






Every morning during our visits, my father would get up early and make us all a big breakfast.  He was happy to be retired, and happy to have us visiting, so he actually enjoyed preparing meals for us.  And then we would go out exploring Stuart, Florida and it's environs.  One time I came down to Stuart with my Great Aunt Babe (in the photograph on the right) and her daughter-in-law Lorrie (on the left).  My parents wanted to show them  the highlights of Stuart, and so we took a drive along the Indian River, a very picturesque road that winds from Stuart to Fort Pierce.  My Aunt Babe was evidently not impressed, as halfway through the ride she asked when we were going to get out of this swampy crud.  You can't please everyone, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment