Saturday, November 19, 2016

More Brainerd Memories


Today I am featuring a photograph of my father Nelson, sister Susan, Grandmother Spillard, and dog Irma on the occasion of my graduation from Fort Dearborn Grammar School back in 1966.  It was taken (I think by me) in the backyard of our house at 9314 South Aberdeen Street in the South Side Chicago neighborhood of Brainerd.  In the photograph, you can see my bedroom window on the second floor, just above the back porch my father had added to the house.  When Susan went off to school at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, I inherited that bedroom from her.  When she came back from college, she wound up sleeping on the hide-a-bed sofa on the back porch.  And when did she get over this outrage?  Actually, she still hasn't, and brought it up as recently as last week.  Surprise!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us. If you do a Google Street View of your old address on Aberdeen, there's a real nice look at your old house from the front. Do you remember most of your neighbors? I lived at 8801 S. Laflin.

    So you went to Fort Dearborn? It's still there on Throop Street. I'm guessing you weren't Catholic or else you probably would've gone to Saint Kilian. I attended Saint Ethelreda at 88th & Paulina. Great memories.

    Thanks again for sharing this.

    Do you remember Mickey's, Geneo's Pizza, Ben Franklin, Sopocy's Pharmacy and High-Low Foods?

    If you have time check this out: There Used To Be A Neighborhood

    http://southsidecatholic.blogspot.com/2016/10/there-used-to-be-neighborhood-suppose.html

    ReplyDelete