Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Cubs World Series Victory, Dedicated Fans, And The Pool At Monterey


The Chicago Cubs won the World Series last night for the first time since 1908, a truly historic victory.  They are still probably celebrating back in Chicago.  Dedicated Cub fans have been a long suffering lot for decade after decade, and for the first time in living memory they no longer have to "wait until next year."  And when I think of dedicated baseball fans, I often think of the pool at the condo complex in Stuart, Florida, where my sister and I own a condo.  I went down to Stuart last week to get the condo ready to rent for the season (January through March), and took a break to walk around the pool, as seen in the photograph above.  The last time I was in it was around 1983, when the Atlanta Braves were trying to clinch a playoff spot.  This was before Florida had a baseball team, and people here followed the Braves.  I started talking to an older lady in the pool, and a short time later told me she had to leave and get ready to watch "our Braves" on the television. A true sports fan.  The Braves wound up blowing their chance at the World Series that year, as I remember, but this year the Cubs did not.  I congratulate the Chicago Cubs and their fans on this great victory. And by the way, it has been reported that hell has frozen over.  You heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment