Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Even More Chicago Nostalgia




I have been watching Chicago's News at Nine on WGN-TV (via the internet) lately, and have not only enjoyed watching the news itself, but also looking at the panoramic views of the city before they break for a commercial.  It reminds me of when my sister Susan and brother-in-law George lived downtown at 1130 South Michigan Avenue. Susan originally lived in a studio apartment on the 40th floor, and I just loved the place (and by the way, I still have most of the furniture from that apartment in my condo here in Denver).  When Susan married George (who also lived in the building), they moved into a 1 bedroom apartment on the 24th floor, where I took the photograph on the left of (from left to right) my mother Mary, brother-in-law George, sister Susan, and father Nelson sometime around 1970.  And by the way, I suspect my mother and sister were having issues that night, but that just might be be.  I am just too sensitive, I guess.


That apartment had a view of a giant Pepsi sign, located on the roof of an office building across the street, and it was continuously flashing on and off (as seen in the photograph on the right). You never wondered what the time or temperature was living in that place.  It also had a great view of Lake Michigan, Grant Park, and Soldier's Field.  I checked the web, and that building is charging rents that start around $1,600 for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment these days, as opposed to the $146 a month my sister paid for her studio.  And my family was outraged at how much she was paying.  My grandparents were paying something like $80 a month for a large flat on East 85th Place, after all.  If they could see the prices for rent (not to mention home prices) these days.  I can just imagine what they would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment