Friday, November 24, 2017

The 43rd Annual Mile High United Way Turkey Trot


Yesterday was the 43rd Annual Mile High United Way Turkey Trot, which is held every year on Thanksgiving morning in nearby Washington Park.  I have lived in Denver for 36 years now, and have  missed every one.  I was thinking seriously of getting up early and attending this year's run, but when the alarm went off, for the 36th year, I said to myself "perhaps next year," and went back to sleep.  However, on my way up to Fort Collins to take my sister Susan to visit her husband George, who is still recovering in the hospital from a serious operation, I decided to stop by the park and see what was happening.  The run was over by then, but I was able to photograph the people walking home.  I know they give you a tee-shirt with a big turkey on it if you participate, but I suspect you have to provide your own turkey hats, like the couple in the photograph on the left are wearing.



I was also able to take a photograph of two mounted police officers, seen in the photograph on the right, who were no doubt sent to handle crowd control.  The only other time I have seen mounted police officers has been on Opening Day near Coors Field, where the crowd can exceed 50,000.  It was a really nice day, sunny with a high of 72 degrees, and riding horses in Washington Park must be considered a perk assignment.  But what I know is what the mounted police do the other 363 days of the year, not to mention the horses.  Do they keep them in a pasture somewhere, or just rent them for the day?  Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment