Friday, December 8, 2017

The Exodus Begins



I heard on the local television news the other night that a record number of people moved out of Colorado in 2016, citing the high cost of housing, low paying jobs, and major traffic jams.  I can attest to all three complaints, especially the high cost of housing.  Around the block from the local bookstore where I work on East Colfax here in Denver an apartment has been advertised for months now, with no takers.  It is a 1 bedroom, 1 bath unit in an older building, seen on the right hand side of the above diptych, and the asking price is $1,050 per month.  It is a nice neighborhood, but that is pretty pricey for an apartment in an older building, especially if you are making close to minimum wage.   You can't blame people moving to a more affordable location.  It makes me glad my apartment building went condo back in 1999 and I was forced to buy a unit if I wanted to stay.  I was pretty unhappy about it at the time, but it turned out to be a blessing. And just a word to others who are thinking of leaving Denver and Colorado: I have lived here for 36 years, and the housing costs have always gone back down since I have lived here.  There is no reason to believe it won't happen again.  I recommend just getting a dozen or so roommates together and waiting it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment