Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Legacy Of Spies



I just finished reading John LeCarre's new novel A Legacy of Spies.  I recently saw an interview with him on 60 Minutes.  He seemed like a pretty interesting guy, and so decided to give the book a try.  I have read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but that has to have been over 40 years ago.  In any case, there is a lot more talk than action in this book, but I think that is the case with LeCarre's other stories, too.  The action centers around Peter Guillam, spy master George Smiley's first lieutenant, who is summoned back to England from retirement in France to answer for a spy operation that went bad back in the late 1950s.  And once again we meet familiar characters such as George Smiley, and Jim, the gruff school teacher and former spy who was the hero of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  It took me a while to finish the book, but I definitely liked it, and recommend it to anyone who liked LeCarre's other stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment