Wednesday, August 8, 2018

The Outer Sunset - Part II






As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I have been getting pretty nostalgic for San Francisco lately, especially the Outer Sunset neighborhood, where you can climb the cliffs that overlook a beautiful, often fog enshrouded seascape.  I did just that the last time I was there, and took the photograph on the left as the fog started to roll in.










After admiring the scenery, I headed back down the cliff to the beach, taking snapshots as I went, and then cut into the residential part of the neighborhood, walking past homes shrouded in fog, just a stone's throw from the sea, heading to a bar recommended in an article I read in Afar Magazine.  Afar really likes the Outer Sunset neighborhood, and I have to agree with them, although being able to afford living there is a whole different issue.





I finally reached The Riptide, the bar mentioned in Afar.  As I recall, you could see the Pacific from the front door, and hear the fog horns off in the distance.  It was a really cozy place, with a fireplace along the back wall, a perfect spot to have a beer on a foggy night.  Back then Air B and B didn't exist, and so I was staying at a Motel 6 way the hell to the south, very close to the airport.  A light rail train stopped practically across the street, and so I would have no trouble getting back there, but was loath to leave.  Perhaps next time I can find an Air B and B just down the street and live like a local for a few days.  And that might be the best idea of all.  If I could afford to live in this neighborhood, after a few years I might get blase about it and not even realize how wonderful it is. Living on a modest fixed income, perhaps I can come back every few years for an Outer Sunset fix.  Not a bad way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment