Monday, November 23, 2020

Continuing The Walk Down 17th Street




Even with the Covid-19 pandemic raging, I am still taking the bus every now and then up University Boulevard to the Tattered Cover Bookstore on Colfax, and from there walking down 17th Street to Denver's Union Station and the light rail train home.  I took the self portrait on the left at the University of Denver Light Rail Station while waiting for the bus.  People are afraid to ride public transportation these days, so much so that I am often the only passenger, which to me makes it an extremely safe way to travel.




Along my walk, I took the photograph on the right of the Dow-Rosenzweig House, which was built in 1882 and is now a law office. I was surprised to find that members of the Leopold Rosenweig family lived there from 1888 until 1970, a long time indeed. I have taken photographs of this place before, but the light was so nice I couldn't resist taking another. One advantage of going back to standard time and shorter days.





Another structure I admire can be seen in the photograph on the left, a series of rowhouses built in 1886, which have been turned into condos, one of which is currently for sale, if you have the dough. The nice thing about this neighborhood is that you can get a good feel for what it was like living here back in the latter part of the 19th century. Denver has a lot of neighborhoods like this, as opposed to it's downtown area, much of which was bulldozed during the urban renewal frenzy of the 1960s. Only Larimer Square was saved in it's entirety from the wrecker's ball, thanks to the efforts of Dana Crawford, who also helped renovate Denver's historic Union Station. Sadly, it wasn't until after many of Denver's most iconic buildings were destroyed that historic preservation took root here. Sad but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment