Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Revisiting The Littleton Museum



I decided to visit the Littleton Museum, located in the historic old town of Littleton, Colorado, last week for the first time since the start of the coronavirus. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find that they were operating on limited hours and by reservation only. I arrived at close to 2:30 P.M. and the volunteer at the desk was kind enough to schedule me into the 2:30 to 3:00 slot, which is when they close these days. The highlight of this museum is it's 1860s homestead farm and 1890s turn-of-the-century urban farm. They are called "living history farms," which means they have docents dressed up in costumes, and actual live farm animals, such as the cow seen in the photograph on the left.




The farms have horses, cows, steers, goats, donkeys, sheep, chickens, as well as turkeys, which is appropriate since Thanksgiving is little over a week away. And don't worry - I don't think these turkeys are heading for the chopping block anytime soon. I took the photograph on the right of a goat despite it's best effort to hide from me. Damn uncooperative animals.





The horse in the photograph on the left was none too happy to have it's photograph taken, either. I had to come back several times, until it was positioned just right, and even then it was standing in front of the sun, making for another tricky shot.







The donkey on the right was more than willing to have it's photo taken, although, once again, the position of the sun required a bit of Photoshop magic after the fact. My sister Susan, who lives up in Fort Collins, is quite fond of donkeys, but I have advised her not to adopt one, since keeping it in the courtyard of her townhouse might irritate the HOA. Killjoys one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment