Sunday, November 1, 2020

The Admiral's Table Is Coming Back! Kind Of...




I recently found out that The Admiral's Table, a long time fixture in Jensen Beach, Florida that closed almost 20 years ago, will be coming back, although in a different form, thanks to the family that owns Conchy Joe's, a  restaurant located just across the street on the Indian River. They plan to add a second story to the building and reopen as Conchy's on the Bayou: Brewery and Kitchen. The Admiral's Table was always a family favorite, and is where I took the photograph on the left of my sister Susan many years ago.



Someone took the photograph on the right of my mother Mary and myself at Conchy Joe's back (I think) in November of 2005. My mother moved up to Denver in January of that year after a series of falls, but we would always head down to Stuart every 6 months or so for her to visit the eye doctor and to check on her condo there. As I recall, our favorite oceanside restaurant (Shucker's) was damaged at the time due to recent hurricanes, and so we had lunch at Conchy Joe's instead. This family also bought the building that housed The Outrigger, a Polynesian style restaurant on the Indian River that was owned by 1940s singer and actress Frances Langford. Soon after, they opened the Dolphin Bar, which pays tribute to The Outrigger and Langford's memory. I assume a similar tribute to the Admiral's Table will be part of the soon to be opened Conchy's on the Bayou. Good news indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment