Friday, November 27, 2020

The Friday After Thanksgiving In Santa Fe



Years ago my sister Susan, her late husband George, and I would spend Thanksgiving weekend in Santa Fe, New Mexico. On Thanksgiving Day we would dine at a fireside table in La Casa Sena, located in historic Sena Plaza, which started out as a modest home back in the mid 1800s. This was a pretty upscale restaurant, and I am eternally grateful to George for always picking up the check, even though I would treat for drinks in the adjoining cantina afterwards. The next day the start of the Christmas season would begin with the turning on of the holiday lights on the historic Santa Fe Plaza, including luminarias lining all the sidewalks,  as seen in the photo on the left, with the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis in the background.



These luminarias are my favorite part of the festivities. The first time we went went down there for Thanksgiving, I decided to not take any photos of them Friday night, assuming that they would be lighting them the next night, too. Big mistake. They are lit only on the Friday after Thanksgiving and on Christmas Eve, and since I had to be back at work at the University of Denver Bookstore Monday morning, staying there until Christmas was not an option. You can be sure that the next year I took as many photographs of them as I could. Sadly, but not surprisingly, this year the lighting of the Christmas lights has been canceled due to the coronavirus. Let's hope it takes place next year as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment