Saturday, November 28, 2020

The Christmas Season Has Begun!



Last night I drove down to see the Downtown Denver Grand Illumination, which features lighting ceremonies and events at the City and County Building, the 16th Street Mall, and Union Station in Lower Downtown Denver. I arrived early at the City and County Building, and decided to kill some time wandering around the annual Christkindl Market, which is being held in Civic Center Park this year to allow for more social distancing between the booths. However, the line to get in was about a block long, and so I decided to say the hell with it, and head to Union Station after taking the photograph on the left.


There was a nice crowd around Union Station, and although indoor dining has been banned due to the coronavirus, there were a number of hearty souls dining outside under heat lamps.  However, the fact that I was able to find plenty of parking spaces just a block away on a Friday night meant that crowds must be way down from last year. I was hoping to take a photograph of Union Station bathed in blue, which it has always been in years past, but instead, the facade of the old train station had Christmas videos being projected onto it. The only thing turning blue was me, standing out in the cold, waiting for the right photo opportunity. I was finally able to take the photograph on the right without the video scenes, and headed for the car to get warm. And I must say, I am not a fan of what they call the "wonder lights," but as I have said many times before, I think I am beginning to turn into an old curmudgeon, which is not a surprise to anyone, I suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment