Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Herbie The Love Bug


I have been living in my condo, across the street from the University of Denver, for over 20 years now.  For about 4 years, there was a Volkswagen Bug parked in the lot outside my bedroom window with a number 53 on each side. When I would take the bus to work, and pass by that lot, passengers would occasionally point it out and smile. I knew it was supposed to be the car from the movie Herbie the Love Bug, but never found out who owned it. Eventually, it disappeared except for an occasional visit, and I suspect a student owned it and finally graduated, only coming back to visit pals. And then, the other day, I saw the Volkswagen in the above photograph near Washington Park. At first I thought it was the same one, but on further inspection, this car was newer, and had racing stripes along the bottom, which the other car did not. And I began to wonder if Volkswagen dealers offer this as an option. And if this is so, does this mean that if I bought an Aston Martin, I could get it equipped with all the gizmos James Bond has in his, including the ejection seat? That would certainly be a big surprise to any backseat drivers sitting next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment