Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Winter At The Zoo Part II




As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I went to the Denver Zoo Sunday afternoon to take a few photographs. It was sunny all day, which this time of year makes it pretty difficult to get good shots, since you often are shooting directly into the sun. I was,  however, able to get a good photo of the rhino on the left, who - happily - was looking right at me. And what a friendly looking beast, too. I saw on the local television news the other day that the zoo is having difficulty finding the money to feed it's animals, thanks to a three month shutdown due to the coronavirus. Perhaps if they offered rhino rides to zoo visitors, they could make up the shortfall. I myself would be first in line.





The giraffes are also difficult to photograph, due to the sun glare, but if you are lucky enough to take the photo at an angle, you can often get a decent portrait. And if you make arrangements in advance, you can pay for the privilege of feeding them. I was able to take some photos of people doing this when the program first started, but these days they only allow paying customers onto the feeding deck, which I feel is patently unfair, especially for us cheapskates.






I was also able to take a fairly decent portrait of one of the new camels. Camels are actually groomed to be ridden, and so I think camel rides around the zoo would be a natural. I rode a camel while visiting the pyramids and the sphinx when I was in Egypt, and it was perfectly safe. In fact, since City Park is right next door, I think a camel ride through the park would be a big hit. Lots of good photo opportunities. Let's face it - if Denver Zoo officials followed my advice, they would not be having these financial struggles right now. But do they listen? Of course not.

No comments:

Post a Comment