Thursday, December 31, 2020

New Year's Eve!


Forgive me for using the same New Year's Eve photograph each year, but it is one of the few I know was taken on New Year's Eve, and also my favorite. It shows my mother Mary on the left and her cousin Marie on the right, celebrating the coming of the New Year in Marie and her husband Ed's two flat in the Southwest Chicago suburb of Evergreen Park, Illinois. My mother and Marie were very close, and in fact, it was Marie and her husband Ed who introduced my mother to my father Nelson. Sadly, Marie passed away from cancer while still fairly young, and afterwards - I assume in preparation for selling the place - Ed gave Marie's parents, Al and Irene, until the end of the month to vacate their apartment on the second floor of that two flat. Not surprisingly, Ed was not a very popular person with the family after that. A sad story for New Year's Eve, but perhaps a lesson that we should all enjoy our time together while we still can, as my mother and Marie are doing in the above photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment