Tuesday, December 22, 2020

The Red Lotus


I just finished reading The Red Lotus, a mystery novel by Chris Bohjalian. I had never heard of this author before, but read a very positive review of the book in the Denver Post when it came out earlier this year, and decided to put it on my reading list. I finally got around to ordering it from the library a few weeks ago and was surprised to find it was really good. It is about an emergency room doctor who goes with her boyfriend of 6 months on a bicycling tour of Vietnam. He decides to take a solo ride to visit the sites where his father was wounded and uncle killed during the Vietnam War, but never returns to the hotel. He is later found dead from an alleged hit-and-run. After his death, his girlfriend learns that he lied about why they had come to Vietnam, and decides to investigate both why he was killed and what he was really up to. I really enjoyed reading this book, and found it a very compelling story. I strongly recommend it, and am happy to report that it should be easy to obtain from your local library - I myself didn't even have to put my name on the waiting list to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment