Sunday, December 6, 2020

The 9th Hole At Monterey


I took the above photograph of my mother Mary many years ago, as we were leaving the final hole of the par 3, nine hole golf course that winds through the Monterey Yacht and Country Club, where my mother lived for almost 30 years. Her condo was across the street, on the river side, where the yacht club was located. Of course, since the City of Stuart, Florida did not allow the complex to dredge the St. Lucie River, there never were any boats docked there. However, if you have a yacht club and a view of the river, who needs boats, anyway? My parents moved to Monterey in 1976, and my mother soon learned to play golf, making more friends down there than at any other time in her life. Whenever I would visit - usually in August - we would play a round of golf each day around 4:00, when the breezes came through from the ocean. My sister Susan and I still own that condo, but are renting it out to help pay expenses. However, once the coronavirus is over, we will head down there for a visit, and maybe even play some golf, even if our tenants won't let us "crash" at the condo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment